Work Based Health and Safety
Health and Safety in the workplace is vitally important regardless of the industry you may choose to work within. In order to support you to develop these skills, you will undertake a programme of work based health and safety training. Giving you the opportunity to not only learn the theory but also explore how health and safety awareness works in practice.
- Health & Safety Basics & Essentials – Autumn 1
- Food Hygiene (Level 2) Autumn 2
- Manual Handling – Spring 1 First Aid – Spring 2/Summer 1
- Fire Awareness – Summer 2
Outdoor Education Qualifications
All students will be able to access Outdoor Education on a weekly basis. This will be undertaken by qualified outdoor education instructors. There is substantial research evidence to suggest that outdoor adventure programmes can impact positively on young people’s:
- Attitudes, beliefs and self-perceptions – examples of outcomes include independence, confidence, self-esteem, self-efficacy, personal effectiveness and coping strategies.
- Interpersonal and social skills – such as social effectiveness, communication skills, group cohesion and skills in working with others.
- Attainment – an outcome of enjoyment in learning leading to higher achievement and improved knowledge, skills and understanding.
All students will undertake at least one work experience placement. Work experience will be tailored to the individual student needs and will be supported by Post 16 staff.
Work experience will be undertaken between January and March and could be individual days, block placements and run over a short or longer period of time.
Students will be involved in exploring work placements, undertaking interviews and understanding the processes for employment.
Duke of Edinburgh
Students will be given the opportunity to work towards a Bronze or Silver DofE award. Since its creation in 1956 by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, the DofE has gone from strength to strength. Guided by the same set of principles and by young people themselves, it’s as relevant today as it was then.
DofE is a flexible programme that helps to develop young people for life and work, the numbers speak for themselves: 93% of participants feel that DofE has helped them to work in a team and 84% feel that they have become a more responsible person. We have both a rich history and a bright future.
Research has shown that the DofE continues to offer successful personal development programmes for young people. It showed that young people do their DofE to have fun, and that support from Leaders and friends keeps them engaged.